Friday, December 21, 2012

My Christmas Morning Breakfast Casserole Recipe

Here is a great recipe for what I call Christmas Breakfast Casserole.  I only make it Christmas morning or on a special occasion.  It smells great when baking too!  I double this recipe to get (2) 9x13 pans.  My parents, in-laws and family come out Christmas morning and we all enjoy breakfast while opening presents.  It's become a family tradition.
 
Christmas Morning Breakfast Casserole Recipe (this recipe makes 1-9x13 pan)

Topping
1 - 1 lb. Package of Bacon

  • If you bake it in the oven at 425 degrees you can easily make massive amounts of bacon in a short amount of time - line the baking sheet with aluminum foil for easy clean-up
  • Reserve and set aside 1/4 c. of the liquid for the topping!
 1/2 C. Crushed Corn Flake Cereal
  • I put it in a plastic baggie and let the kids have-at-it.  They can use a spoon or crush it with their hands but be careful not to break thru the bag!
 Combine above topping ingredients and set aside.

Casserole
1 doz. Eggs lightly beaten
1 C. Milk
1 C. Small-Curd Cottage Cheese
3 C. Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Pepper
1 bag frozen Hash Browns

(The original recipe called for 2 green onions, sliced, but my family didn't like it with the onions, so I took it out)

In a bowl, combine the eggs, milk cottage cheese, cheddar cheese (I reserve some to sprinkle on top), salt and pepper until blended.  Stir in hash browns.  Pour into a greased or spay with Pam in (1) 9x13 casserole dishes.  Sprinkle with bacon/corn flake topping mixture and sprinkle some cheddar cheese on top.  Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Christmas morning, remove from fridge 30 minutes before baking.  (I take it out when we go down to open presents!)  Bake, uncovered, at 325 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.  Let stand 5-10 minutes before cutting and serving!

No comments:

Post a Comment